Saturday, November 19, 2016

Studying poetry...

For Nate's Introduction to Literature class, he selected "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" to analyze for a poetry paper. He certainly has not been looking forward to reading poetry and trying to analyze it, and flipping through the poetry book I realized that I didn't think poetry was all the enjoyable either.

I read Robert Frost's poem, and we were talking about it when I realized we had read the same poem but weren't reading it in the same way.

When I saw, "The woods were lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep," I saw someone who couldn't stay in the beautiful snowy woods much longer because he had promised his family he'd be home and still had a ways to go.

Nate saw someone on his way to commit suicide.

What?

Well, when he started explaining the way he was reading the poem, I totally understood his analyzation. And he saw how I was reading it.

We laughed and laughed about how I could see something so beautiful and positive while he could read the same thing and see something dark and negative.

I guess poetry can be a little more fun and interesting than we thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment