Sunday, March 12, 2017

Mrs. Potatohead eyes



Sometimes women are like Mrs. Potatohead.

The pastor this morning was talking about qualifications to be a deacon or deaconess in the church, and one of them for women was the importance of being sober-minded. He said women should not live on an emotional roller coaster, comparing it to which eyes we have on, like Mrs. Potatohead.

I thought it was an interesting analogy.

There are many times when I can feel myself getting short. When people talk to me, I just bristle. For some reason, I woke up with my angry eyes in.

It could be that time of the month; it could be a bad night's sleep; it could be situations have put me on edge that day. Honestly, it could be for no reason at all. Sometimes women just have grumpy days.

However, I think the important lesson for us is that we have the choice which eyes we put in. We have a bank of facial expressions and eyes, just like Mrs. Potatohead does. If we wake up with a frown and our angry eyes in, we need to stop, take inventory and then go through our facial expressions to pull out our kind eyes and replace them.

Women naturally struggle with emotions, but we shouldn't see that as an excuse for bad behavior. When Paul instructed deaconesses to be sober-minded, emotionally stable, it's because it is an option. We can live by how we feel, but we can also choose to logically look at life and why we feel what we do, and we can change out our expressions and get off the roller coaster.

Next time your angry eyes are in, maybe thinking of Mrs. Potatohead will help you smile, take a step back and change out your expression for something a little nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment