Sunday, January 7, 2018

Jesus changes everyday life

It’s not just a new year resolution, it’s something I’ve wanted for years — a closer relationship with God. But it’s easy to put something that you don’t “see” on the back burner for what is in front of me: A dirty house, piles of laundry, baking to do.

But reading a new devotional so far this year has been good. It’s helped me already to remember just how big God is, just how much I underestimate him and just how much he deserves much more of my praise.

The last part of Colossians we’re looking at in church has a similar theme — “How does Jesus change everyday life?” He should change every part of our everyday life.

1. Jesus makes us people of prayer. We should pray all the time.

I’ve never been good at prayer. My mind wanders like a kid in school with ADD. After I read my devotion for the day I’m trying to at least say a prayer of praise about how good and how big God is. I am great at asking, but I know that God deserves so much more glory and praise than what I offer.

If you can’t think of what to pray about, be thankful. Pray for open doors to share the gospel message.  Pray for those in the Middle East who are being persecuted, for those hiding away in North Korea or China, for those who don’t know God in Africa or the South American jungles.

2. Jesus changes ordinary choices.

We are to use wisdom to make wise choices, not just right choices. Colossians 4:5 says, “Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.” While something may not be wrong, we need to be extra wise to see how something may be perceived. It might not be wrong, but how will someone else view it and will that open or close the door for the gospel?

We’re also to make the best use of our limited time. This is always convicting to me. I tend to be a little lazy. We don’t have kids, so my time is my own. At home, I do fritter it away relaxing in front of the TV and snuggling with my puppy. I should be doing the stuff on my list, or should be praying or calling a friend or writing a letter. My time would best be spent elsewhere. Perhaps I need to put a limit on it...

3. Jesus changes the way we speak.

I am not much of a talker, but many people turn people away with their words or their tone. We should speak with gracious words.

4. We need good Christian friends.

I am blessed to have some wonderful, godly women in my life. And I need to be that good Christian friend to those around me. I need to be closer to God so that is reflected in my life and my friendships. We need people who will lift us up and show us what is beyond our culture, beyond worldly values.

Jesus, our faith, should change everyday life. Let’s make a resolution that 2018 will be a year that reflects those changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment