Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Baiting hooks and breaking worms

On a fishing day held for local students, I went to take some photos for work.

They ended up needing a little more help when the TK students arrived, so I stayed and partnered with a local DNR officer named Bob to help the kids cast and to remove fish from hooks.

I am not an experienced fisherman by any means. I go fishing with Nate, but that entails me bringing a book and going along for the ride to enjoy some beautiful weather. I haven't had a fishing license for a couple of years, because I get as much enjoyment from watching as I do from participating.

That lack of experience didn't exactly help me out today.

I took a child to the container of worms, and he picked one out to use as bait. I picked it up and tried to get it on the hook, but I couldn't get the hook through the slimy earthworm.

I turned to Bob, "I don't know how to bait the hook."

He came over and told me the worm was too long and promptly pulled it into two pieces...with his bare hands. He threaded the end onto the hook and left a little part to wiggle.

I took the pole to the water and attempted to cast into the water for the child, but the line caught inside the reel and I got about two feet, into some bushes.

"I'm less than no help at all," I laughed while saying to Bob.

He just looked at me like he agreed.

The next time a child needed help, I figured out how to release some line ahead of time to prevent it from sticking and got it in the water where it needed to be. I even grabbed a worm and pulled to break it into two. My hands slid off the intact worm that curled around, upset that I squeezed it.

I grabbed all my guts and pushed hard in the middle, pulling. It came apart! I dropped half back into the dirt container and squealed a little to myself as I threaded it on the hook and tossed it in the water, handing the rod back to the nearest child.

I texted Nate, "I'm baiting hooks and breaking worms in two."

"Atta girl," he replied.

I knew he would be proud of me.

The kid with the fishing pole looked at me, "Your hands are dirty."

I guess all comments can't be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment