Thursday, June 18, 2020

I don't want to forget

I stood in front of Nate in the hospital room, no makeup, leggings and a tank top, my hair pulled back.

"You're beautiful," he said, smiling at me.

I looked down at myself, unimpressed.

"I'm not even wearing makeup."

"You're just a natural beauty then."

At a moment when I was in pain from surgery, had a postpartum pooch and knew my husband had seen me in very ungraceful moments, the fact that he said I was beautiful was music to my ears --- and my tender heart.

His words seared themselves into my memory and endeared him to me even more.

This moment and so many others in the past few weeks have been small, but at that moment and in others I have stopped and just tried to soak it in, tried to make a memory. I don't want to forget the light in his eyes when he told me I was a natural beauty. I don't want to forget the feel of my baby's peach fuzz head against my lips as she falls asleep on my chest when I lift her to burp. I don't want to forget the silly, pursed-lip face she makes right after she eats and stretches.

I don't want to forget.

Having a newborn is crazy. It's surreal at times. It is already going so quickly.

That is one reason I write these blogs, because I don't want to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment