Sunday, February 21, 2021

A heart at peace gives life

 I've been reading through the book of Proverbs during my quiet time, and even with just two chapters every day, it seems like my brain can't take in all the wisdom that's in there --- which is prudent, since the theme of the entire book is the pursuit and value of wisdom.

Here's one: "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones" (Proverbs 14:30)

Contentment has always been a big deal to me. I grew up frugal --- cheap... --- and it's important to me to not be constantly striving after stuff. I hate just browsing, because I don't want to get items that I don't need, and I don't want to pine after things. When an item is on my wish list and I just keep looking at it, it makes me uneasy. I feel unsettled.

When I decide that what we have is enough and am satisfied, I feel content, settled, at peace. It's true that a heart at peace, a mind that is content, gives life to the body. It is fulfilling and not draining.

Constantly striving for more, trying to keep up with what I see others have, desiring the next big thing rots the bones and makes one anxious.

We have so much. Let's look at what we do have and be at peace instead of looking at what we don't have and seeing emptiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment