Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Better news than Progressive insurance


I have been trying to come to grips with why telling people about God makes me uncomfortable.

I guess it boils down to fear. I'm very introverted, and it is difficult for me to talk to people out loud --- writing is just fine. It makes my underarms sweat just having to make phone calls. That means that thinking about discussing something as important as Jesus is quite terrifying.

I'm also afraid that people will ask questions that I don't know the answers to right off hand, or that I won't explain well. Many times in a discussion --- not even about faith --- I will think about it later and come up with something much better to say. I'm not good off the cuff.

I'm afraid of turning people off. When I think about people who have approached me about religion, even Christianity, a lot of them come off in a way that makes it very unappealing. They are too forceful, too fake. It doesn't make me want to be like them or "buy what they're selling." I don't want people to just shrug off what I have to say because I make it look unappealing.

I don't want to share at a bad time. What if I am jumping ahead of the Holy Spirit? What if that person's heart isn't ready to hear the good news of Jesus' saving grace?

However, as I think through all these things, it seems like God keeps repeating to me the words of our new pastor. "There's never a bad time to share the gospel."

Could it be that people will ask questions I don't know the answer to? Yes. I may have to look something up later. Could it be that I don't explain something right? Yes. I have to trust that God can use even my blunders. Could it be that someone sees me as annoying or fake? Yes. But that is not my problem if I truly am sincere. Could it be that I share at a wrong time? Yes. But I have to trust that the Holy Spirit will continue to work and perhaps that will just be a seed that is harvested at a different time.

When I saw the Progressive commercial above, it convicted me. If Flo can go up to a total stranger and be so passionate about insurance that she immediately begins sharing her good news, how much more should we all be passionate about sharing the best news? The news that Jesus loved people so much that he came from his place in heaven to live a perfect life in a human body and died in place of us --- a perfect sacrifice --- to cover our sins, and then that he rose again to beat Satan and death is the best news of all.

It's a lot better news than a discount on insurance, that's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment