Friday, December 20, 2013

Take a pause...

Yesterday, trying to take advantage of the hype, I wrote a blog about the Duck Dynasty controversy and how I support Phil Robertson. Then realizing I may have written it too quickly and people might not understand what I was trying to say, I deleted it.

As I started thinking through the whole thing, it gave me a chance to clarify, even to myself, how I felt about everything. And that’s when I realized that’s a huge problem in our society.

When A&E suspended Phil Robertson for his comments on homosexuality, it spurred people to quickly choose sides. It sparked heated arguments. It made national news. People quickly started to fling hate speech when something comes up and they don’t take the time to think through what’s happened.

I honestly think that’s a big part of the problem with the gay rights movement. It’s become so reactionary and emotional. Christians say they think homosexuality is a sin, and then that community thinks Christians are homophobic and bigots. Christians sin all the time. Just because they say something is a sin doesn’t mean they hate those people. Saying the Lord's name in vain is a sin, but I'm not going to hate, not talk to or even bring up the fact when a friend says "OMG." If asked I'll tell them I think it's wrong though. Like I said a couple days ago, we’re to love people while still hating sin. I have lots of people that love me but hate the mistakes I’ve made --- just ask my mom!

On the other side of the coin, Christians should also watch the way they phrase stuff. What Phil Robertson said might have incited less furor if he hadn’t been quite as crass, talking about bestiality when asked about homosexuality. I get what he was trying to say, but I think the way he said it freaked people out so they wouldn’t listen to all he had to say.

I’m one of those people that likes to process before I speak. I found that out yesterday after I deleted my blog. I might feel one way originally and then when I think through my feelings I realize they are a little different that my emotions first spouted.

I think we could all benefit if we stopped to think before we speak or act. We should first show love and then get into a respectful debate. No matter our beliefs it’s important to listen to others, but we can only have respectful debate if we’re not reactionary.

I think Phil Robertson summed it up best in a quote that has gotten left out of some of the debate, “We’d all be better off if we just loved God and loved each other.”

No comments:

Post a Comment