Thursday, July 24, 2014

Distracted faith

It's been a little while since I've been able to blog, since we don't have constant Internet.

Have you noticed that the moment you start praying or spending time with God in other ways is the moment that Satan starts to attack you, even in the smallest ways?

And I don't even mean attack as in tempting you, I mean attack as in trying to distract you.

The other day I was coming home from a near by city, and I started praying in the car. Something happened that made we start to question my intentions toward people, and it was a time I started feeling very close to God. Then the road I was going to take was closed, and there was a winding detour, and my mind started to go to driving instead of on God.

When I have been praying, reading my Bible and writing in my journal lately, even when I started this blog, that has been the moment my dog has demanded attention. She can be perfectly fine and then when I start to think about God, she suddenly sits by me whining or trying to play with me.

Satan obviously doesn't want us to spend time with God, and he's good at making it easy to get distracted. It could be the phone rings, something loud booms outside and you go check it out, the kids start pestering you, the dog is annoying, you start planning dinners for the week or thinking about your to-do list --- there is a myriad of ways to get distracted.

So I think it's important that we realize it's hard to spend time with God, and then we need to be aware of distractions and fight against them at those moments. Satan will do all he can to make sure our faith doesn't grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment