Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Quality items, not quantity shopping

For a long time, my expendable income was often spent on clothes. When you're a teenage girl and a college student, what else do you need to spend money on?

That changed when I got married and had a home of my own. Then there was decorating, going to restaurants, spending time with friends, items my husband wants, let alone groceries and toiletries and cleaning supplies and...the list goes on.

For quite a while, neither Nate nor I bought any clothes. We have closets full of clothes that we have had for eight or more years. Half of my clothes, and I don't think I'm exaggerating, are hand-me-downs from my mom.

I'm proud that we are not obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses, but there also comes a time to invest in some new clothes. I think we're about there. However, now that I do need to buy some new items, my philosophy needs to change. Instead of purchasing those pieces that I can get a large quantity of and are not high quality, I need to buy pieces that are going to last. I'm not going to grow anymore, so I might as well get stuff that's going to last.

Plus, I need certain items. Usually, I just bought good deals when I found them. That usually meant I had lots of tops and dresses. Those are not the items that I need in my closet. I need a pair of leather pumps that will last. I keep trying to find a deal, and I'm not seeing it.

Then as I shop, I'm tempted to buy the deals --- to get more tops and dresses and bikinis that I can use on vacation. However, I go on vacation once a year and I need these other items much more.

I had a new bikini in my shopping cart online tonight. I almost bought it. It was exactly what I wanted, and it was a great deal. However, I don't need it. I have four for vacation, which is quite enough.

I finally stepped back and thought about what we needed. If anyone needs a swimsuit, it's Nate. He has one pair of good trunks that he wears every day when we're on vacation. We should invest in his swimwear needs and not mine.

When I stopped the impulse shopping and started to think about investing our money in wise ways, I X'd out of the store and started to look for items that we actually need.

My shopping habits are going to have to change a bit. That might take some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment