Sunday, March 29, 2015

On time

Let's see how many things I can find to do instead of my list of chores...blogging is one!

I usually cut it close when I get ready for the day. I have it down to 25 minutes to get ready for work, and it's around the same time that I usually get ready for church. Even when I'm already awake, I usually postpone the getting ready until the last minute.

The clock was ticking, and I was thinking that I needed to leave at 11 a.m. for church this morning, and then about 10:50 a.m. it dawned on me that church starts at 11 a.m. and I should probably leave earlier than the start time...

I cut it close, but worship was already going on when I walked through the doors and headed down the side aisle to my usual seat.

It was while I was getting ready that I thought about the timeliness of church. Most of our congregation comes in for the entire worship service, very few actually entering the sanctuary before the music starts. It seems normal.

Think about it though. If I was going to meet Jesus, I would be up and ready early. I would leave the house 20 minutes, at least, before I was supposed to be at the designated location for the meeting, because there is no way that I would want to be late for Jesus.

Isn't that what church is? Aren't we there to meet with God? If so, then why do we think it's OK to be late? Really, the fact that I didn't get all my make-up on doesn't mean anything compared to meeting with Jesus. I might not get my cup of coffee, or I might have to chew gum instead of brush my teeth, but I ought to be on time. I might even have to start getting ready earlier in order to make it. But that should be OK.

When we have kids, I want the example to be that we are on time for God. I don't want my kids to think that putting on mascara is more important than being there and showing God how important he is in our lives.

In fact, I want God to know how important he is in my life. And I better start showing it through my actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment