Monday, December 2, 2019

Finding out


We were taking our mid-morning siesta while vacationing at Sunshine Lake outside of Hearst, ON. Nate lay with “Genesis” by Dennis Prager on a twin bed on one side of the room, and I lay reading “Beyond the Cosmos” snuggled in my sleeping bag on the twin bed at the other side of the room.

That’s when I heard two small words clear as a bell in my head.

“You’re pregnant.”

Wow.

I didn’t even really question it. I just knew in my being that God had let me in on a little secret, and I quietly prayed with a grateful heart as the words in front of me blurred. My concentration wasn’t on them at the moment.

--------

A week later, we were back in Spirit Lake and I decided it was far enough along in my cycle that I could tell I was pregnant with a test.

I unwrapped one from a pink wrapper and dunked in the old Associated Press coffee cup. I waited.

One pink line.

Hmmm…

I took one the next day, and when it showed only one line. I was convinced that it wasn’t a strong enough test, so I Googled the best and went to the Wal-Mart in a nearby town --- where I figured I wouldn’t know anyone --- and picked up the First Response two-pack. I debated using one right in the Wal-Mart bathroom, but that just seemed sad, so I waited the 20-minute drive to get home.

I followed the instructions, and still nothing.

I hadn’t told Nate I had tried multiple tests, because I had no real reason to think that I was pregnant other than those two words I’d heard a week ago. I didn’t want him to think I was silly, trying test after test. I finally told him I’d tested though.

“You think you’re pregnant?” he asked while we sat on opposite plush chairs in the living room.

“Yes, I do,” I said candidly.

“I don’t think you are. I think a test would show by now,” he said.

I decided to wait a couple more days and test again. Bloody noses and a few other symptoms, but nothing major. Still negative.

I had to be patient. I’d give it until a full week after I had my first test, and although I debated testing in between I figured it was just a waste unless I gave it some time.

-----------

On Friday, Aug. 23, I grabbed the other First Response test, hoping it was more sensitive than the other tests, and unwrapped it. When I set the test down, it took about two seconds before a second pink line joined the first.

My heart started pounding.

Nate didn’t have to work that day, so he was asleep while I had gotten up for work. I did it on purpose, because I knew if I had a positive test, I didn’t want to have to wait all day for him to get home from work without telling him, and I didn’t want to tell him over the phone. So I quietly crept into our room, where he was asleep under the blue and white quilt, his back toward me.

I tapped him on the shoulder softly.

“Nate.”

He rolled over.

“I’m pregnant,” I whispered.

He looked at me with sleepy eyes, registering what I had just said.

“Yay!”

We smiled.

“Can I see?” He asked.

I trotted back to the bathroom and grabbed the test, bringing it over to show him the two now very distinct pink lines.

I had gotten up with plenty of time before work, so I crawled back in bed and snuggled up with his arm around me. He kissed my hair, and we were both quiet, although I’m sure prayers and thoughts ran through his head just as much as they did mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment