Thursday, December 3, 2020

Two things I'm thankful for today

Two sentences hit me hard and caused me to be overcome with thankfulness in an unexpected way today. 

"[God's] will is preeminent and will be done."

God's will is over all. God's ability to accomplish his will doesn't depend on if Christians do what they're supposed to, when they're supposed to do it. It doesn't depend on the right President getting elected to office. It doesn't depend on a terrorism attack getting stopped instead of happening. It's doesn't depend on anything.

Think about the salvation of mankind. God decided that to save the human race, his son would have to come to Earth, live a perfect life and die for our sins before rising again and beating Satan and death. Accomplishing that purpose didn't depend on any actions of humans --- God simply used what humans did to complete his already established will, his already planned out plan.

"It is only by grace that we celebrate a lordship other than our own."

I so often look at people on social media, those who have huge followings and who think of themselves as quite something, and I judge them. Why do they think they are so important? I mean, I know that I'm not the center of the world --- now, I may sometimes act like it, unfortunately, but that's a different story --- why don't they see that they really aren't all that high and mighty?

That's where this quote hit me.

So many people see themselves as the end-all-be-all because they don't have anything else. They don't believe in a God who created this universe, who is bigger than them, who saved them from sin, who they can rely on for anything. All they have is themselves to solve problems, to make the best life for themselves, to strive to be the best they can be. They are their own lords.

And that made me realize that it truly is by grace --- undeserved mercy --- that God revealed himself to me. I should be celebrating daily that I know the truth, that I know that God exists and that I know there is someone out there much bigger than me that I can take all my problems to, that cares about me, that gives me purpose.

I don't think I've ever thought about how blessed I am to have that knowledge before.

So today, I'm thankful that I am not my own lord and that my Lord's will doesn't depend on me or anyone else, but that it will always be done.

Quotes from "New Morning Mercies" by Paul David Tripp.

No comments:

Post a Comment