Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

I sit down at the computer, and I'm not sure of what to write on this Father's Day.

I have written about my dad before. I have written about how wise, hard-working and loving he is. I have written about how much I appreciate him. I'm not sure what to write today that will convey to him just how important he is and just how much I appreciate him. My dad has been the best dad I could ever have imagined. He is a wonderful example of what a man of God should be.

I guess when I think about Father's Day and my dad, I think back on the dates that we have had through the years. When I was little, I remember going to Dairy Queen and having dinner with him before going to see some new Disney princess movie. I can't say that I remember specifics, but I remember knowing that my daddy loved me enough to want to spend time with me and that he wanted me to know I was special.

Even today, we go to a local rib place together, because we love barbecue, and we love it much more than my mom so we just go together. It's just a time to smile and enjoy a little taste of life.

Then there's the moments when we eat a quart of ice cream together or when he gave me a special silver ring with a key on it that said I had the key to his heart, and he gave it to me for no special occasion, just because he saw it and thought of me. It's the moment when he's about to walk you down the aisle and he can't even talk because he's so choked up.

I don't know if there are a ton of specific stories that I have that show how special my dad is to me. It's just a conglomeration of days and times that stick in my mind that made me know that my dad cared. And that's what a dad is, more than a father. A dad is the one who makes you know that you are loved and that you are special and that you deserve the best the world has to offer. I have always known that I have a special place in my dad's heart. What more could I ask for?

And this year, I have a new father to be thankful for. Nate's dad has always called me honey, and he's always made me feel like one of his own. Again, what more can you ask for than a father-in-law that just seems like another dad?

I thank God for these two men, and I wish them the happiest Father's Day. They deserve so much more than I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment