Thursday, June 27, 2013

Kids put off work, why can't we?

Life has been a little crazy in the last week, so my blogging hasn't been consistent. A wedding last weekend, family coming into town, plenty of work - it's kept me from having too much free time.

However, this weekend I have a weekend off with nothing scheduled, and Nate doesn't have to work. What am I supposed to do with this joyous free time? Well, I already have a list started - bake for the church dinner on Sunday, clean the house, do laundry. I will definitely make some time to play though.

I did an interview last night for a local production of "Peter Pan." I asked the actor playing Peter and the actress playing Wendy about their thoughts on growing up, and they both talked about the importance of children and how much freedom kids have to imagine and play. We often lose that as adults.

When Nate's and my niece visited this past weekend, I saw how much kids love to play. She chased Novie around, threw her toys around, decided even a potato was a toy. When we drug her around to different places, she got crabby when she didn't get a good nap or didn't have time to just play.

Kids really seem to enjoy life. They look at day to day activities with joy instead of dread. They spend most of their time having fun while putting off responsibilities. As kids, we get a talking to when we don't do our chores before having play time.

That means that as adults, we are programmed to do all our responsibilities first. Pay bills, mow the lawn, clean the kitchen, do the laundry and then play. That's OK, but sometimes it's important to put off our work and just have fun. Life loses its enjoyment when you are all work and no play.

My husband has taught me a lot about that. I never was a spontaneous one until I spent time with him. Now, we love our random trips to the nearest city for dinner or to see my best friend and her husband. We don't mind coming home to a messy kitchen if it meant that we had enjoyed ourselves.

My house might never be the cleanest, because I have tried to prioritize spending time with my man before getting everything on my list completed. Work will always be there, making memories is more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment