Thursday, May 22, 2014

Another's shoes

I sometimes have to stop and put myself in someone else's shoes.

Earlier this week, my neighbor dropped off a present at our back door. And by present, I mean a garbage bag of Novie's poop that she had found in her yard. I got a little frustrated at first that she felt she had to give us back these items, but then I realized if someone's dog were pooping in my yard I might not be so happy about it either.

Tonight, Nate went boating with a friend, and I wasn't invited. It wasn't that he specifically didn't invite me, but the friend invited Nate to a guy's night. I was a little sad to be left out, but then I thought how sometimes it's nice to have just a girls night, so why shouldn't they have a guy's night. I had gardening to do anyway.

Usually, our first reaction is of selfishness. How do we feel? If we run with that initial reaction, it could get us into trouble. Sometimes we have to just step back and think of others. How do they feel? Why did they do what they did? What if you were in their position?

It might help you feel angry a whole lot less if you just stop and think about someone other than yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment