Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Just ask

You know how you feel when you do something wrong and you keep it from your spouse, parent, boss or friend?

It starts out easy, but soon you feel guilt biting at you. When you're around that person, you get nervous and your heart starts beating when a similar topic comes up, because you hope that they're not going to bring up something related to what you did. It just gets worse the longer you keep the secret.

However, if you come clean and admit to what you did wrong, you don't have to worry about it. You might have to pay for the mistake, but it still isn't as awful as the horrible guilt eating away at you. Plus, it gives the other person a chance to forgive you.

Aren't we blessed that we have a God that will forgive us easily since Jesus already took on all our sin on the cross? Psalm 32 says "For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night, your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not cover my iniquity; I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,' and you forgave the iniquity of my sin."

That is just beautiful. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins. All we have to do is ask.

However, sometimes it is hard to ask. We have to be willing to learn from our mistakes and to ask for help from God. "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you."

Once again, everything boils down to that darn sin of pride. If I can't admit I did something wrong because I'm afraid people will see me as fallible, then I can't be forgiven. I have to humble myself and ask for forgiveness to be able to receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment