Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pots and pans and happy days

I didn't have a very good day at work on Friday, and we were expecting company on Friday night, so when I got home, I was a little stressed.

I headed inside to finish up some work and then got started making cupcakes for our get-together, and Nate stayed in the garage because I know he could read on my face I was stressed and needed to just be alone and get things done.

However, then I got a text message that read "How can I help your stress?"

Melt my heart, the sweet man. I told him if he could sweep up before everyone came, that would be a huge help.

Then as I reached into the cupboard to find my cupcake tin, I saw a bunch of boxes amidst my old pots and pans. I didn't realize what they were doing in there at first, and then I found they were boxes filled with a brand new pasta pot, two new skillets and two new cookie sheets - from Williams Sonoma no less.

Those were my anniversary gift from my absolutely amazing husband. He knew that our pots were old hand-me-downs and secondhand store finds from before we were married, and he wanted to get me something nice. I never thought I would have anything from Williams Sonoma, and here he goes and buys me something out of the blue.

You might think it's not a big deal, but first, we said we wouldn't get each other gifts after we got married. We wanted to use those funds to go on trips and get big purchases when we needed them instead of spending little bits here and there on gifts. It's worked out great so far, and we don't miss gifts.

It makes it all the more special when he goes out of his way to think of something to get me on a holiday, because I'm definitely not expecting it. He said he wanted to get me something since I never buy anything for myself, and he likes my cooking.

I have to say, after a terrible day, his sweet gestures really made me feel good and brightened what would have ended as a bad day to remember. Now when I look back on that, it is with good feelings that my husband is there supporting me and doing his best to make me happy.

We're coming up on our second anniversary, and I have to say, this man continues to surprise me. I have loved him for a long time, but he is constantly growing and changing and becoming a man that blesses me constantly. It actually makes my stomach twist when I think about him, because my love is growing each day for him.

When our friends get married, I am just so happy for them, because marriage has been more than I expected. You hear so much how hard the first couple of years are, and you are always seeing couples fight. However, we have been so blessed to have two wonderful years together with little stress and fighting. Being married to Nate has given me a teammate, a support system, a lover, a friend, a confidant, a rock, a hero. He is beyond wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment