Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Cramped legs

I was laying in bed last night, and my legs started to get squirmy between Nate and Novie. I sometimes get a little claustrophobic when I can't move my legs like I want to, and that made me think about the horrible torture box that they put people in in "Zero Dark Thirty" to get them to talk.

I would not do super well in a tight spot like that, and I'm glad I don't have any deep, dark secrets that anyone would want to get out of me.

However, then I realized that every day Christians are being persecuted and tortured for their faith. When I think about someone challenging my faith, I have wondered if I am ready to die for what I believe in. I am. I would die before renouncing my faith in Jesus Christ.

I have not thought about if I am ready to be tortured for my faith. It is entirely possible that in my life or in my children's lives that our country will not be so free and we may be tortured to try to get us to renounce our faith.

What if someone put me in a tiny box where I couldn't flop around like I usually do when I lay down? What if they pulled out my fingernails? I don't do well with pain --- what would I do if I was in extreme pain every moment of every day and I couldn't just die, I had to suffer through it. Would I give in?

I know that being able to quote Scripture to myself would help. I could say "God doesn't give us more than we can handle." Then I realized that I don't know that many Scriptures that would be able to help me in hard times. I usually memorize Scriptures (when I memorize them, that is) that are positive. Those Scriptures apply to where I am today. But what if things change? I should be prepared for every obstacle, not just the ones that I can foresee.

The way my mind jumps around is the exact reason that I usually watch TV to go to sleep! It stops me from thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment