Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Northern Lights

I got a call at 1 a.m. from my husband, and I groggily answered.

"I'm watching the Northern Lights," he said.

"I've always wanted to see those; I'll go look," I said.

"You're going to come? I'll wait at the pumphouse then," he said, his voice perking up.

I got into the car and tried to wake up as I drove a few miles to the lake. I couldn't see anything right when I got out of the car, but Nate said I just needed to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark light.

Then I saw them. The horizon turned a light green color, and waves passed through every few seconds or so.

The dark sky was lit up with stars and with the Northern Lights, and I just soaked up the beauty standing next to my husband.

That's when I realized what day it was.

"Happy birthday," I said, smiling.

"Thanks."

"I'm glad you called."

"I debated for a long time about waking you up."

"I'm glad you did."

Life is often about saying "Yes." Instead of staying home, get out of bed and enjoy those spontaneous moments you won't forget. Go check out those Northern Lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment