Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Bro time

So many times when we were dating and first got married I was a terror when Nate wanted to spend time with his friends. I remember the night that I bawled on the floor by the bed when we got married and he was playing video games instead of cuddling with me.

Yikes.

The poor man so often let me crash his boys nights, and he still does, because I truly do enjoy hanging out with his friends. There were nights that his family or friends were over, and his parents were playing games with Nate and his friends and then his mom would go up to go to bed, leaving Nate's dad on his own. I truly thought she was selfish not staying up and hanging out with her husband. I thought I would never do that.

However, now, I've realized it probably had little to do with her. I think she knew that her husband needed some time on his own, with guys, even if it was just family or his son's friends.

The other day, Nate told me that it has been proven that men who have time with male friends, guy time, man time, were actually happier and more satisfied. I have realized that in the past few years that sometimes he just needs to talk to his friends. It's not usually anything serious, and it's not like he's keeping out of the loop so he can hang out with them. He just needs that bonding time.

So I truly have tried to get better about giving him his guy time without making him feel bad about it.

He did let me crash his family/friend ice fishing guy time this weekend a couple of times, but last night, I was sitting with them at 8:30 p.m. and I did something I never thought I would do when I was 16 years old. I pulled a 'mother-in-law.' I decided to head home.

It wasn't because I was tired. It wasn't because I didn't want to spend time with him. It was because I just thought that they wanted to play cards and be with the guys, so I said good-bye and headed out.

Live and learn I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment