Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Hawaiian Fried Rice

I don't like Hawaiian pizza.

That sweet meat combination never appealed to me, and I have never understood why someone wanted to ruin perfectly good ham with an orange glaze at Thanksgiving time.

However, my husband likes it, and I found a recipe a few years ago on Pinterest for a Hawaiian fried rice recipe, so I decided to try it.

Surprisingly, I loved it! I didn't think I would like the sweet meat combination, but the salty ham and soy sauce, the spice in the sauce, the sweet pineapple --- it was all delicious.

That's when I realized it was never the ham and pineapple combination that I didn't like. I went back to try Hawaiian pizza and still didn't like it, coming to the conclusion that it is the combination of pineapple and pizza sauce that I actually don't enjoy.

It never hurts to try some new things, even if you think you won't like them. 


Hawaiian Fried Rice
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 cups diced ham
1 red bell pepper
6 green onions
3 garlic cloves
5 cups cooked rice
3 large eggs
1 cup pineapple pieces, canned or fresh

Stir soy sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce. Set aside.

Heat vegetable oil, diced ham, red bell pepper and white parts of the green onion. Stir in the garlic.

Heat remaining oil and cook rice. Push rice to one side and lightly scramble eggs. Add ham mixture.

Pour soy sauce mixture over. Turn off heat, add pineapple and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment