Thursday, November 23, 2017

Sous chef

On Tuesday night, I had to make cookies for a work program the next day. But first, I had to run to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things.

When I was checking out, Nate called me and said that one of our friends was going to come over for dinner because his wife was working late. It was last-minute, but what can you do?

At home, Nate was sitting at the computer, working on his resume for a class he is taking. He asked me to come help, and I looked at the clock to see the time ticking away, knowing that I had to make cookies and dinner still. I felt myself getting tense but decided to quickly prioritize and calmed as I knew that this class took precedence above the rest that I could do later that evening.

I was on the second pan of cookies when Nate stood across the counter from me, "What can I do?" he asked.

"You want to make green bean casserole? I'll tell you how to do it."

He went to the cupboard and picked out the casserole dish I usually use for this veggie favorite.

"Get two cans of green beans and drain the water out of them," I said.

"OK, stop there and then after I'm done give me the next step," he said as he grabbed the cans from the cupboard.

After we successfully got the green bean casserole ready for the oven, I asked him if he wanted to make veggie dip as well, and we walked through that one too.

"I'm your sous chef," he said.

We both smiled. We got everything done that needed done by the time our friend arrived, my stress level was non-existent, and I smiled as he headed outside to start the grill.

"Thank you Lord for my husband," I breathed as I kept finishing up the kitchen duties.

I am so thankful for the man in my life. I am so thankful for a husband who cherishes me daily in the little things. I am thankful God is at work in lives, making us better each moment.

Happy Thanksgiving all! I hope you have a wonderful day cherishing your spouses too.

1 comment: