Saturday, November 4, 2017

Suffer well for the gospel

Nate and I started attending a small group through church, something we haven't done together before. His work schedule is so erratic, there has never been a time that we could consistently attend.

We started going through the book of Jude for a month before we dive into a different study once the youth pastor joins our group, and it was an interesting discussion.

"...I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints" (Jude 3).

To contend for the faith, to fight for it. Another translation says to contend for the faith that had been entrusted to the saints. Entrusted --- to give something valuable for someone to protect.

Dave Ramsey often talks about how we are stewards with our money, that it doesn't belong to us, but God has entrusted us with it and we are to use it wisely and for God's purposes. How much more does that apply to the gospel message? We are given a huge gift, a valuable gift, and we are to protect it, to share it wisely, to make sure that it doesn't just die with us.

In a world that constantly wants to make me hug my faith and keep it all to myself because no one else seems to treasure it, it's also important that I contend for it. I have to keep fighting for what is truth.

This morning, I'm proofreading one of my pastor's sermons, and it is on the same lines. In a study of Colossians, Paul also wrote about how contending for the faith is not easy. We are expected to suffer when we talk about our faith.

I often feel like if sharing the faith isn't easy, if it hurts, then I'm doing something wrong. That's not the way to look at it though. Jesus suffered. Stephen suffered. Peter suffered. Paul suffered. Martyrs throughout history have suffered.

Jesus died on the cross and rose from the grave to save us from our sins. Truly, nothing else matters.

But it's scary to truly live like that.

I hate to admit that. I hate to admit that I'm fearful. I serve a God that I should fear, not the people around me, not what is happening in this world.

It's one of those things that has come up twice, and when that happens, I always know God is trying to tell me something.

Be without fear, daughter. Suffer well.

No comments:

Post a Comment