Monday, November 18, 2013

Dunker burgers

We try to save money when we can. The past month it seems like we've been spending money like it's our jobs — planning a trip, buying presents, getting items for the house, etc.

We like to eat out occasionally, but I try to make food at home that is good enough that we don't have that desire as often.

At a local restaurant, they have something called a Dunker Burger. It's a cheeseburger on grilled Texas toast that you dip in au jus. It is delicious.

It's also pretty simple, so I decided to try making it at home. It was quite successful, so I have made it several times. We actually haven't been back to the restaurant since!

Dunker Burger
1 pound ground beef
Six slices Texas toast
Three slices American cheese
1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Split beef into third-pound portions and make into patties, quite wide so it covers the pieces of bread. Season with your favorite spice blend. Grill or cook on stovetop.



Meanwhile, toast the bread and start making the sauce. Mix together the beef broth and worcestershire sauce, which makes a sauce similar to au jus for a lot cheaper.

When the patties are done, put them on the toast with a piece of cheese. Return all to grill or pan to finish warming and to melt the cheese.

Dunk burgers in au jus!




Note: For the bread this time, I used homemade bread I made this weekend. You can find the recipe here, Sandwich bread.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have the passion to cook like you! I might have to make this for my family this weekend.

    ReplyDelete