Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Lifelong learner

I heard on a podcast that I like the hosts call themselves "lifelong learners."

I hadn't heard that before, but I realized that is exactly what I am.

I am so thankful that I have a job where I get to learn something new everyday. Sometimes it is something about the environment --- did you know that the fleshy flap of skin that hangs off the top of a turkey's beak is called a snood?

Sometimes I get to learn new skills. On Friday, I got to learn how to drive a Bobcat and also drove a wheel loader.

Sometimes I learn about history. While working on new exhibits for a historical site we run, I had to look up some of the Native American artifacts. I found out that eagle feathers were awarded to braves in battle, and our eagle feather, which is serrated on both sides, was awarded to braves who counted coup --- showed bravery in the face of the enemy --- four times in battle. I also learned about Native American headdresses and what the feathers mean.

I love our small group when I learn the history behind a book of the Bible, and I love church when I learn what the original Greek text said versus how I had always interpreted the English.

I also love working with volunteers and picking up life lessons along the way, like the day my volunteer quoted an Amish proverb --- "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

I get so much joy from learning, and I had never realized before just how much it excites me. I'm thankful today for a job that lets me do different things every day and that lets me continue to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment