Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Thankful for our great God

I am thankful for a God that is greater.

This week alone, a friend of ours was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and my best friend's aunt died suddenly.

Fear. Grief. Heartache.

This world is full of so much sorrow, and yet, in those moments we have hope. The response is typically, "You're in our thoughts and prayers."

But I don't think that means much to many people. Thoughts are nice, but they aren't going to help anyway. Prayers can though.

I keep coming back to this verse that I read in Acts about how Paul was shipwrecked, and when he built a fire, a cobra came out and bit him on the arm. The natives watched him, waiting for him to get sick and die.

But nothing happened.

Nothing happened!

I think that God is so big that he can work in situations, but natural things happen. If someone is bitten by a poisonous snake and doesn't receive help, that person is going to die. It's only natural.

Yet, God can intervene in those situations. He is bigger than poison. He is bigger than cancer. He is even bigger than death.

It blows my mind when I really stop to think about how great God is and how much he is in control.

He can heal. And when he chooses not to heal, it is still not a loss. When someone has accepted Jesus as his or her savior and is forgiven of his or her sins, he or she gets to go to heaven! Even death can't win.

I am thankful that in moments when everything seems lost, we can throw up our hands and reach for our Savior.

God is bigger. He is greater than we can even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment