Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Give in secret

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:2-4 NIV).

I enjoy giving of myself, my talents and my financial blessings to others. Growing up, my parents always knew what I was giving, because they knew how much money I had and had to take me anywhere I went. My mom said it was OK to tell them about giving stuff away, because it's not bragging when you tell your parents.

As I have gotten older and independent, I found I still found little ways to tell people how giving I was. No, I didn't tell them exactly how much money I donated, but I usually let it slip that I gave money or that I baked cookies for someone, etc.

Lately, I have tried to not tell people when I have given something away. Let me tell you, it is hard! I have always enjoyed helping people, but I think I enjoyed also getting credit for helping people. Keeping quiet means that I have self-satisfaction knowing that I am doing what God wants me to do and that's it.

I don't write this to tell you and brag about giving of myself but to challenge you too to also do your giving in secret. If you're giving to get credit, you're giving for the wrong reasons. Test yourself and see why you're really giving by not telling anyone you're doing it. It might be good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment