Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A slow Christmas

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas!

My holiday was a little different this year. It's the first time that I haven't gone back to my hometown to spend Christmas with my parents. Nate had to work, so I made the decision to spend Christmas with my husband rather than going back for family get-togethers.

On Christmas Eve, we went to church together and then stopped by friends' parents' house for their family party. On Christmas, we FaceTimed with our families, open our "stockings" left here by my parents when they visited over Thanksgiving and had meatball sandwiches for dinner.

It was a simple holiday, but I have to say I enjoyed it. I missed being with family, especially after seeing our adorable nieces on the iPad, but it was the most relaxing Christmas I have ever had. There wasn't any running around to do last minute shopping. There wasn't the stress of having to get up early to cook for parties. We didn't even have to worry about making it anywhere on time or getting home exhausted after a long day.

I slept for about 12 hours each night, and I got to cook and clean at my own pace.

Best of all though, I thought about what Christmas was all about. Without the usual hustle and bustle, I wanted to make sure that we remembered Christ's birth. We went to church and watched a sermon by Louie Giglio that was  part of our Christmas present from my parents and brother and sister-in-law.

The hustle and bustle can make Christmas fun, but we sometimes need a little quiet to remember why we really celebrate. Christmas isn't about food and presents, it's not even about family - which many people say it is. Christmas is about Jesus and how he came to Earth as a human baby in order to grow up, die and take on the sin of the world.

So thanks for a relaxing holiday, Lord. And thank you for a time to remember just how much you did for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment