Thursday, August 8, 2013

PMS: Praying for Meanness to Subside

This blog is probably more for the women out there.

Yesterday, I was making cookies while my husband was cleaning up, getting ready for company to come. When he would say something to me, I could feel myself getting snippy and annoyed for no apparent reason.

It took me about a millisecond to realize it's a week before that time of the month. The PMS was hitting its stride in my body and in my mouth.

What do you do at that moment? I don't have any Midol to take to cure the symptoms, because I don't really get cramps. The more I try to curb the craving to get catty, the more catty I get because I start focusing on how annoyed I feel. I usually try to stop, diagnose my feelings and pray that God would take them away because I know I have no reason to feel the way I do - other than hormones at least.

I was listening to the radio the other day when a woman was trying to tell her Sunday school about having a pure heart, because whatever is in your heart will come out at some point. A child pointed at his heart and said, "Whatever is in here will fall out of here," pointing to his mouth.

I started thinking of the times when I get snippy, and I realized that it was because that was what was in my heart, although I try to mask it most of the time. I want to be a good wife, so I bottle up my annoyance that he leaves the lights on or is playing video games when I think he should be helping me with housework. However, when those feelings are in my heart, at some point they're going to come out my mouth.

I decided I would try harder to not let that come out. Almost immediately, I realized that I can't do that. I can't curb my sinful nature on my own. I have to ask that God will give me a pure heart and a servantful heart so that the little things don't bother me. That way the ugliness is not in my heart and then the not mean things in my heart will be what comes out of my mouth.

We can't always control what happens when we have PMS, but like in everything else in our lives, we have to turn that over to God too. PMS is not an excuse to be mean but an opportunity to realize that God can help even with hormones.

PMS: Pray for that Meanness to Subside.

No comments:

Post a Comment