Friday, January 10, 2014

A new year brings changes

I wrote an article the last week in December on new year's resolutions, and how a local counselor doesn't recommend making them.

That's because most people don't make new years resolutions seriously, and the moment they fail, they just give up.

However, the new year is still a good time to reflect and realize that you need to make some changes in your life.

At the end of last year, I decided to stop biting my fingernails. I have actually been doing pretty well, and I have had several people comment that my nails are longer than they've ever seen. I will admit, this week was a little stressful and I broke down and bit four nails.

I realized I was doing it, and I knew that it was just a setback. I haven't given up.

Then, I also downloaded a Bible on my phone and wanted to try reading through it in a year. I missed two days this week, and I realized that I don't have to force myself to read it in a year. However, it's still good for me to make a new habit of reading some every day, even if it takes long than by next January.

Also, I need to make sure that I'm not just relying on myself to do these things. I have to pray when I start to feel stressed instead of turning to nail biting. I have to ask God for a hunger for his Word instead of forcing myself to read the Bible each day.

It's important not to just make changes at the beginning of the year, and then when you mess up to wait for the next Jan. 1 to make more changes. We have to constantly be willing to make changes and improve our lives, at any time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment