Monday, November 28, 2011

My "secret" dollar

"As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. [2] He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. [3] "I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. [4] All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4)

We read this in Sunday school yesterday, and I said, "Is it bad that every time I read this I think that's not very smart?" I mean, God calls us to be good stewards of our money. However, giving away everything leaving us nothing to live on doesn't seem like a good steward. Where's she going to get money for food or shelter - rely on someone else?

I don't know about the monetary part, but I started to think about this as life more than as money.

God blesses us all with lives to live. However, if we give only a little piece of our lives it's not worth very much. Even though our lives are small, if we give up everything it is all God asks for.

I want so much to give up my entire life for God, and I think that I do give a lot. When I look at the things in my life that need to change, I have seen some great improvements in recent years. However, in my life's wallet there's a little coin section.

My mom used to keep a "secret" dollar in her purse, to use when she needed cash and hadn't gone to the ATM recently.

I have a secret dollar, some secret coins. I have some of my life that I want just for me. I have given a lot to God, and I hang on so tightly to that last bill, those last few coins.

However, God's watching. He knows who's giving up their all and who's not. I need to release my grasp on that last secret dollar. But my fingers continue to grasp tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment