Thursday, March 1, 2012

People person

I'm so not a people person in one way. However, in another I really am.

In one way, I could hole up in my apartment - as long as Nate was there - and not talk to anyone else for a month. I honestly don't think it would bother me if I didn't feel like a terrible person for cutting myself off.

On the other hand, I love listening to people's stories. I am a firm believer that everyone has a story to tell, and a worthy one at that. However, it is uncomfortable for me to go up to people and start talking to them. So I miss out on a lot of that.

Being a reporter really gets me out of my comfort zone. I love it when I get to meet neat people and sit down and really listen to them - not talk, but listen.

I met with a woman today, and we talked for two hours. Well, she did. I didn't need all of it for the interview, but it was nice just to chat and connect. And I think it makes people feel important when you listen to them.

I just wish that I had that personality that I could get to know everyone so I could hear everyone's beautiful stories. Even if it is someone who thinks they didn't do anything while being a wife and mother, everyone has a beautiful story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment