Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A 19-year-old's battle with cancer

I wish that I had a video of the Easter service at church on Sunday.

Instead of the typical resurrection story - which was incorporated into the day through the theme of "Comeback Stories" - the pastor told about different comeback through time, comebacks similar to Jesus' story although not anywhere near as great.

I have to say though, the main part of the sermon that touched me was an interview with a beautiful young woman who came forward to tell her story about coming back from cancer.

The 19-year-old had on a colorful maxi dress and sported a cute, short haircut, which before you hear she had cancer just looks like a trendy style.

She said that she had a form of leukemia that took away her sophomore year of college as she struggled, almost coming to the edge of dying one night. However, when her mom asked if she had enough - even though she doesn't remember this - she responded "No. I haven't won yet."

She talked about how close she has become to God through the struggle and how she hopes she can inspire people and their faith through her story. She even said she wouldn't have changed the battle if she could, because good came out of it.

I don't even know the girl, and I teared up as I listened to her passionate story and her cheerful voice telling about how God got her through. I am happy that God spared this girl, and I hope that she makes a big difference in his kingdom with her story.

As I write, this I wonder - she said that she wouldn't have changed this battle with cancer if she could, but what if she wasn't going to make it. What if, instead of beating cancer, the 19-year-old knew that she was days away from dying. Would she still say that she wouldn't change anything? Would her lessons still be strong enough that she would die for them?

Either way, I'm impressed by her youthful, positive outlook on even the most dire of situations. I hope that we all have a positive outlook on life like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment