Sunday, April 29, 2012

Stories of redemption

Our church is starting a new series on the Gospel of John. We might not realize it, but even this Gospel is a story of redemption.

Read the story, and John is full of pride. He messes up by falling asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane. He's a young guy with a lot to learn and doesn't always realize it.

The pastor talked about how the Bible is full of stories of redemption, making us realize just how great a God we have. I haven't really thought about it in that way before, but just about every story in the Bible is a story of redemption. God gets glory by telling the stories of his grace, mercy and power.

After Adam and Eve sinned, God forgave them and gave them a continued life instead of stopping humanity in its tracks. Moses killed a man, but God gave him the job of leading the Israelites out of Egypt. David was redeemed from his affair with Bathsheba. Israel was redeemed many, many times in the Old Testament. The Gospels are stories of how we can be redeemed. Even Revelation is predicting the redemption of the world from Satan in the end.

Why would God tell all these stories of redemption?

Redemption is defined as deliverance or rescue, deliverance from sin in theology.

Think about it, and the main point of Christianity is redemption. We become Christians when we accept Jesus' sacrifice on the cross and are redeemed from our sins. The point of our lives then becomes serving God. We can only serve God, because we can have a relationship with him only because of his redemptive nature. Without God's forgiveness and mercy, we would have no hope at all. One mistake and we'd be lost forever.

Let's show a little excitement for this fact that we have a redeemer and that he lives. This discussion just reminded me of the worship song, "My Redeemer Lives."
My redeemer lives

"I know he rescued my soul.
His blood has covered my sins.
I believe, I believe.

"My shame he's taken away.
My pain is healed in his name.
I believe, I believe.

"I'll raise a banner, cause my Lord
has conquered the grave."

"My redeemer lives, my redeemer lives.
My redeemer lives, my redeemer lives.

"You lift my burden; I'll rise with you.
I'm dancing on this mountain top,
to see your kingdom come.

"My redeemer lives, my redeemer lives.
My redeemer lives, my redeemer lives."

Source: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/h/hillsongs/#share

No comments:

Post a Comment