Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sermon notes

"Also, he (God) has put eternity into man's heart..." Ecclesiastes 3:11

I decided that maybe I should just write during the sermon this morning so I don't forget what I hear.

The pastor is focusing on Ecclesiastes 3, and starts off by talking about how we are eternal beings. When we die, we don't cease to exist, thankfully. Oh how sad the outlook would be if this imperfect world were it.

However, we get busy and so concerned with the things of this world that sometimes it becomes all we think about.

Taking communion and during worship, I realized that not only has work and wedding planning taken over my life but also my heart. I haven't been talking to God very much, and even while singing I realized my mind was wandering to what still needed attention outside of these church doors.

The pastor gave examples of eternal amnesiacs, people who have forgotten that this life is not all there is.

Life is futile, he said. Life breaks down. This is not how it is supposed to be.

Eternity is not even comparable to this life. We can compare a lot, small houses and skyscrapers or the looks of different people. Our eternal home for Christians in heaven is so different from life here that it is not even comparable.

Then the pastor talks about the rich man from Matthew 19 who asked what he needed to do to be saved. Jesus said keep the 10 Commandments, the told the man to give away everything he had and follow Jesus. It showed the young man his heart because his stuff was more important than salvation.

It is not just stuff we put in front of God. It is activities, people, savings accounts. We idolize a lot.

Whether nothing is going my way or everything is going my way, it makes it easy to think it is all about this life.

This life will not last forever.

It is like the mass we build up in this life has built so large it has a gravitational pull as draws us constantly in.

But we can't compare this to eternity, which will never end.

Just don't put all your eggs in the basket of this world, because it will be taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment