Saturday, January 10, 2015

Following that voice inside

It's our job to ask, it's not people's job to accept.

I have felt called to reach out to a volunteer from work, and it was a huge blessing to be able to go to her house last weekend and bring her meals and run to the library to get some books for her to read as she is stuck at home due to back pain.

I called this week, and I was going to stop by to give her some company. She said she was busy, which is perfectly fine. She may be busy, she may not be. However, I realize it's my job to ask but it's not her job to accept.

When God asks us to do something, I don't think it always works out. Just because I felt like I should call and offer my company again this week, God knew that she was busy and didn't need me to stop by. However, he certainly expected me to follow through with what he was calling me to do.

Part of it is that he is just testing us to see if we are going to do what he asks us to. What you think God is calling you to do might not work out, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to do it.

I'm trying to get better at following the still, silent feeling inside. It's so easy to see something that you know you should do, but you would rather go run errands or go about your daily life and stay comfortable rather than put yourself out there. It's hard and often uncomfortable to do something that, well, makes you uncomfortable.

Even when I am called to serve someone that I know well, I get an uneasy feeling in my stomach and I start to sweat when I make the call about it. I don't know why it's hard to serve someone, but I know that it's even more uncomfortable to face God in my heart and know that I have intentionally ignored him.

When I start to worry about how people have taken me or what I have said, I have to keep thinking back that I am doing what God told me to do. If people can fault me, that's OK. If God can fault me, that's certainly not OK.

If I do what I'm supposed to, the rest is up to God. If I ignore God I can't expect him to stand up for me in that situation.

Help me Lord to hear you still, small voice inside me and to have the courage to follow what you're calling me to do, no matter what it is. It's hard and it's scary, but I know that I can rely on you if I'm doing what you've told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment