Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Help



I loved the movie "The Help," when my mom and I saw it over Labor Day Weekend in the Twin Cities.

Although the best part may have been the Cheesecake Factory cheesecake we snuck in to eat inside the theatre, the film itself was great.

I saw another trailer on TV, because apparently it's back in theatres again. If you haven't seen it, I would definitely suggest going.

"The Help" teaches us a lot about acceptance. For most people today, this time period in history might seem crazy. I can't imagine ever treating someone horribly just because they have a different skin color. I can't imagine thinking they are less than me or making them my servant because they are of African descent.

Even though African Americans don't deal with as big of a race factor today - depending on the area I'm sure that changes - many people still deal with being accepted.

I did an interview recently with someone who works with people who have mental health problems. She said that those who have these kind of problems are often pushed away. There's others - the poor, single mothers, overweight people, pock-faced teenagers, shy personalities - who are also not accepted as easily in different groups.

We need to remember that God created everyone. Some people have problems of their own creation, and some people have problems that they cannot control. No matter what though, they are children of God and special creatures. We need to show love to them and not judge them by the way they look or the choices they have made in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment