Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Materialistic

Materialism is so rampant in the U.S. today.

I started packing yesterday for our move in a week, and right now there are five suitcases and two backpacks full of my shoes and clothes sitting in the living room.

And that's not all of them. I only packed what I knew I could live without for the next week or two.

I don't spend a ton of money on clothes or shoes, because some of the items in those bags I have had since high school. However, I still could go for months without doing laundry and I'd have enough clothes. That is sad.

We have some much stuff shoved in our duplex right now, because we don't have any storage for all of Nate's hunting and fishing gear, and yet once we move we will hardly fill up our house.

It seems like the goal when you buy a house is to fill it up. You're supposed to buy furniture, vases, lamps, rugs, pillows, art for the walls, and do-dads to set on shelves. There are so many stores that base their entire businesses on selling items that we don't need but want to fill up our homes with.

I think that's something I'll need to keep in mind after we move. It's not about filling the house up with stuff. It's about making memories and providing a place for my family to want to come home to, to want to relax in. I'll have to be careful about the materialism part of having a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment