Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Patience, Patience

Whew, Sunday was a lesson in patience.

Nate and I went out of town to watch his cousins' band perform, and the next day we woke up to a rain storm that had turned into almost blizzard conditions.

We hurriedly packed and set out for the three-hour drive home, but within about five minutes we realized that wasn't intelligent. We ended up staying at his cousin's house and watched the road conditions closely.

The road that we were supposed to take home ended closing completely because an accident blocked it, and then it was listed as "travel not advised" until 6:30 a.m. yesterday.

I was worried as I realized that I wouldn't make it home on time for work, and I started biting my nails as I realized I had made mistakes in preparing my girls for dance pictures tonight. I started getting nervous they wouldn't bring the right costumes and I would get in trouble at work.

I had to keep telling myself there was nothing I could do about the weather and to sit back and just the events one moment at a time.

I ended up working from my iPhone and using the Internet on that for e-mails, research and I did an interview in the car while Nate drove. I actually was quite productive today, even though I wasn't sitting at home on my computer.

Patience has never been my strong suit, but it seems like God is constantly teaching me lessons about the need to be patient. Whether it's patience at work, patience with family and friends, patience about money, patience about being late. We are almost always waiting for something.

I created a wall-hanging a few years ago that says, "One day at a time." I still have to constantly tell myself that, adding sometimes "One moment at a time." Not everything can be done this instant, so patience is definitely a key to survive everyday life.

End note: This is funny. I wrote and posted this blog yesterday, but it didn't go through for some reason. When I noticed I had to write some of it again I thought it was ironic that I had to have patience about a blog about patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment