Friday, March 8, 2013

The great debate

Money versus fun. Money versus fun. Money versus fun.

It seems like this is a constant battle inside my head.

We're in the process of buying a house. We have a car payment. We have school loans. We need to save money, and each time it comes up to go have some fun that costs money I immediately think about the fact we should stay home and save instead.

We took an hour's drive to a nearby city last week, and it was a spur of the moment thing. Nate said, "Yay, we're doing something fun and spontaneous."

I guess other than going to Florida, we haven't done much lately. We haven't eaten out, because I've been trying to save money by making good food at home. We haven't seen a movie or gone shopping. I've tried to put away every penny possible so we can make a nice down payment and buy the necessary things for when we move in.

We do need to not hole ourselves up just because we have bills to pay. Everyone does. I want my marriage to be fun and spontaneous. I want to create memories, not just leave behind a bank account.

I want to have fun, but I guess I'm just a penny pincher. I would rather have too much in the bank account than just enough. But that also doesn't always lead to the quality of life that spending money allows sometimes.

There's a fine line between being a good steward of what God has given you and hoarding away what you have and not living the life God has given you to the fullest.

Money versus fun. Money versus fun. Money versus fun.

I don't think that debate will ever lessen in my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment