Friday, May 17, 2013

Marriages need support

Some people have been making fun of Nate, saying that he's not as cool as he was when he was single.

We haven't gone out as often as we used to, and Nate spends a lot of time working on our house, building and hanging out with me. I think that we have both changed since we've been married.

However, I think the changes have been for the better. We have both grown up and have priorities in our lives, and we have put each other ahead of friends.

I find it frustrating when people want to bash that. Marriage is hard, and a lot of marriages fail when priorities are not in the right order. In order to make marriage work, you sometimes have to make tough decisions that other people aren't going to like.

To make marriage work though, people around you need to be supportive. If people are constantly berating you and knocking you down, you might soon think that something is wrong with you. You might feel like you have changed too much or that you shouldn't be doing what you're doing.

I want my husband to know that I appreciate him. I appreciate all the time he spends with me, and I appreciate that he's responsible, works hard and is trying to make a nice home for us. I try to tell him that, but I also know that my words won't always be enough. Everyone needs a little outside encouragement from time to time as well. If we should or not, we all seek approval.

All in all, I think it's important that we all support each other through life changes. Maybe you do have to spend less time with a newly married friend, but if that's what they need, shouldn't you support them in that? It doesn't mean that you're any less important.


No comments:

Post a Comment