Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Stress that doesn't cause worry?

"Now before the Feast of Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end," John 13:1 (ESV).

Our pastor's sermon this week was very informative and I took away several points from it. The first one was from this verse, that when Jesus was under stress he wasn't thinking about himself. Instead he gathered his disciples together for a final supper together.

I know that when I get stressed out, all I think about is myself. I complain about what I'm stressed about, I don't really do anything else, and I often even don't make dinner or think about Nate because I am obsessed with what is stressing me out.

However, when the pastor said that Jesus was under stress, I started to question --- did Jesus stressed? I know that in the Garden of Gethsemane he prayed to have the cup taken from him, so I guess that counts as stress. Yet he obviously didn't worry or that would have been a sin. I don't really understand how someone can be under stress and not worry.

I guess when I stress, it crosses the line quickly into worry. I don't just feel overwhelmed, I start to worry that I won't get everything done or that I won't be able to make the decision that I need to or that whatever I'm stressing about won't be resolved.

Although I guess it does help to not worry when you know how everything is going to turn out anyway. That's why I stick with my favorite verse, which follows:


No comments:

Post a Comment