Friday, May 17, 2013

Remembered

She didn't know today was her last day.

My sister-in-law's mother passed away today, a death that was completely unexpected and sudden. I got a call from my mom telling me, and I didn't even know what questions to ask or what to say. It was complete shock, and obviously, it was even worse for my sister in law.

I got on Facebook, because I knew that my sister-in-law wrote a tribute to her mom this past Sunday, which was Mother's Day. And her mom had commented "Love you too honey." She had no idea that this would be the last post she would make on her daughter's Facebook - but how perfect it was and how much her daughter will treasure that forever.

Happenings like this make your mind just swirl around - what can I do, how do I show support without being bothersome, how crazy is it that this happened and how sad, how do I get to the funeral, how much will it cost, can I take off work, what if it was my mom, what if it was me?

It's horrible, because Darcie and her mom were so close. "Aren't all daughters with their mothers?" Nate asked. "Not all," I said. I told him that Darcie was everything to her mom, a closeness that sadly isn't all that usual between mothers and daughters.

I didn't know Darcie's mom all that well, just having talked with her at some family gatherings. However, the first two things that came to mind when praying about these tragic circumstances were how much she loved her family and her God. As I prayed, I asked God that he would welcome Darcie's mom with open arms into his kingdom and her everlasting reward.

Her family and her faith - isn't that exactly how Darcie's mom would want to be remembered? I know that when I think about how I want people to remember me, that's exactly what I want. I want them to say that she gave up everything to make her family's life better and that I was a woman of God.

So I hope that in this time of turmoil Darcie's family can find peace in the fact that her mom led a life that was servantful and full of love. Because although it may make it harder now that their loving mother is gone, it will make it easier in the future to know that their time with her was full.

In times like this I always go to the same verse, "Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, through prayer and petition, present your requests to God so that the peace of God, WHICH TRANSCENDS ALL UNDERSTANDING, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

May that peace guard Joey, Darcie and their entire family, may they feel at peace even though they don't know why.


No comments:

Post a Comment