Thursday, March 10, 2011

You can't take it with you

I've always been a saver.

I have never been great at spending money, because I know there are other things in the future that I will need money for. I have always enjoyed watching my money grow as I add more and more to my bank account.

However, sometimes I have to realize that you can't take it with you, and you might as well enjoy it while you have it.

Taking trips, eating out, getting new clothes - those are fun experiences that take a little money.

Just tonight, we spent almost $100 at a restaurant, but it was a place we had never gone, and we had three courses, and it was delicious. It was a great time, and we didn't even have to travel far to get it. We made a memory and found a new spot to eat out when we want a nice time.

If it were me a few years ago, I never would have done that. When Nate and I started dating, we went to Red Lobster and spent about $40, and I thought that was insane. I was much more for the dollar menu at McDonald's before I realized sometimes restaurants can be as much about the experience as the food.

Nate has taught me that sometimes it's worth it just to spend the money and enjoy the experience. When I decided to move last fall, I was really uptight about what I would have to spend in the new town. However, my mom also reminded me that money is necessary to live. I mean, why else would I work except to make money to spend?

Although I still try to be frugal and get good deals, every once in a while, it's good to spend some money and just have some fun.

After all, you can't take it with you when you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment