Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Why am I here?

Why are did God put us on Earth?

It's a big question that all of us have to face at some point.

What are we doing here? What is our purpose?

Although we all have different callings on this planet, we all have one purpose - to glorify God.

My mom and I talked about this topic on our way to the outlet mall on Sunday - the fact that all of our problems come down to selfishness and our desire to do what we want instead of doing what glorifies God.

We both talked about having things we want to fix in our lives, but the moment we start talking to God about them, we tense up. A little voice pops in our heads and says, "Do you really want to do all that it will take to give this up?"

We often fear all the terrible struggles God will have us go through that will bring about our cleansing, but really, why do we expect that from God? God can give us blessings that will teach us lessons just as he will give us trials to teach us lessons.

The parable of the talents shows that God blesses us, but what we do with our blessings decides where we go from there. The man who was responsible with his blessings received more. He was tested with much. The man who was scared of his master - accusing him of reaping where he did not sow - was thrown out, because the master said, "If you think of me like that, I will be harsh like that."

Glorifying God doesn't mean that we will have to go through tons of bad stuff.

However, I admit that every time I try to surrender to God, my flesh fights it. I have that voice in my head that tells me all the things I will have to give up, and I don't know how to surrender all that I want.

Often, I think I only have a short time on Earth - why can't it just be fun? Why do I have to only have the purpose of glorifying God? That doesn't seem like a fun way to spend my limited time here.

However, my mom and I also discussed the need for us to relinquish ourselves to the Holy Spirit. We can't surrender ourselves to God or live for his purpose solely by ourselves. Christians have the Holy Spirit living inside them for just this reason - we have to ask for help.

As much as our flesh fights back and our mind questions it, we were put on Earth to glorify God, for his desire. How many of us are really doing that though - solely doing that?

No comments:

Post a Comment