Friday, December 9, 2011

What's important?

At dance, my class of first graders is sometimes a little out of control.

I tried to control them by yelling over them at the beginning of the year, but the dance studio owner didn't like that, so I have tried to keep them under control in other ways. I don't think I'm very skilled at it though, and I don't know if I am teaching them all they should be learning because I don't get as good of use out of the time we have.

However, the other night, I thought about how I was dealing with the situation. Am I there just to teach them dance or to teach them life skills or to show them love through my actions.

Last night, I prayed when I got there and felt myself getting frustrated that God show me how to deal with them. I don't know if it made any visible difference last night, but I need to keep that on the forefront, that I use that time how God would want me to use it. Although dance is important and is the reason that these parents brought their children to class, I don't think it's ultimately the most important thing.

Colossians 3:22-25 says, "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. 23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. 25 Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for their wrongs, and there is no favoritism" (New International Version).

We may not be technical "slaves" anymore, but I still think we have to keep that in mind - that whatever our work is, it's not for human masters. We can do our everyday jobs for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment