Sunday, May 6, 2012

"Power Thoughts"

Joyce Meyer talks a lot about the importance of our thought lives.

The first book I read by her was "Battlefield of the Mind." I read it during a time when I was having a difficult time getting over my thoughts. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I went through a period of time when I could not throw anything away. Even if it was a used Hardee's cup, I got a sick feeling in my stomach when it went into the garbage, and I would try to keep it.

I didn't read the book right at that point, but I continued to struggle with going by feelings and dwelling on bad thoughts. "Battlefield of the Mind" really helped me to see that I didn't have to listen to what Satan put in my mind.

I haven't read her new book "Power Thoughts," because I kind of thought that I had improved enough in that area. However, today I watched a sermon she had introducing a new series talking about thoughts. I realized that I still have plenty of room to grow in this area.

Especially, she talked about how whatever we dwell on is how we end up acting. She did an example of how she used to sit and say, "I have to do everything at home. Dave (her husband) goes out golfing. The kids go play. I clean. They come in and mess it up. I clean the house again."

I have to say, I've fallen into this trap already, and Nate and I aren't even married. When we eat dinner together, I end up cooking and doing the dishes. Nate goes and plays video games when I want him to spend time with me. The more I dwell on upset thoughts, the crabbier I get and then Nate doesn't even want to talk with me. Who wants to be around a crabpot.

Meyer said she used to get really upset that her husband would play golf all the time. Now, she said she is happy that he has a hobby that he enjoys. I also am happy that Nate can play video games to relax and that he can connect with his friends in this way. That's awesome that technology affords him an easy way to have fun with his friends over a distance.

I need to remember that when I wake up thinking it's going to be a bad day, I can immediately realize that Satan is giving me a bad thought. If I decide it will be a good day, it will be a good day. What I think about is what will happen. Because even if plans don't go as planned, then I can still think that I can deal with it by the grace of God and still have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment