Friday, January 4, 2013

A room of many years

I said a little prayer of thanks laying bed last night.

Nate and I went back to our hometown so he could go hunting with his dad and I could surprise my mom by coming back.

It was the first time we have shared a bed here since we got married, and we stayed in what used to be my room. As I layed there with his arm wrapped around me, I thanked the Lord that we were where we are.

The room looks quite different today - painted drywall, only a bed, an nightstand and a trunk. For a moment I went back to the time when it had brown, paneled walls, a bookshelf on next to the closet, a desk and dresser filled with my belongings, a brightly-colored comforter spread over the twin bed.

That room saw a lot of ups and downs in our relationship. It saw the day I fell asleep smiling because I finally had a boyfriend. It saw the phone spinning on the floor as I decided if I should text him I loved him. It saw little fights we had on the phone while he was away at college the first year.  It saw the night that we broke up and I cried myself silly, and the tears that continued for the next week.

It later saw a woman in love getting ready for her bridal shower, and now it sees a happily married couple.

I laid there and thought of how much I wish I could have brought the 18-year-old me into that room to see that everything would work out. That I would finally get everything I had ever wanted and would be so happy with the man that I have always loved.

I didn't know how things would turn out, but I set my heart a long time ago on Nate, and I didn't let go.

I'm so glad we didn't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment