Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Make my marriage great

I think I have the best new year's resolution, and I want to resolve to make this my new year's resolution each year.

Make my marriage great.

I was just reading a FoxNews article that talked about how no one ever resolves to make their marriage great, because spouses think it should just automatically be great if they're meant for each other or it's too hard to know what to do.

Nate and I have seen some really awesome marriages, and some really horrible ones. We've seen ones that are too career-oriented, too child-oriented, too selfish. We've seen others that are full of love and compromise and nurturing. I think we both have paid attention to what has worked and what has failed in each, because we don't want to make the same mistakes.

Yes, I bet those of you who have been married a long time are thinking, "That newlywed has no idea."

No, I don't. But at least paying attention to how sucessful my marriage is is a start!

So, I resolve to make my marriage great this year, by telling Nate I love him every single time it pops into my head so I never regret that I didn't tell him; by praising him even for the little, everyday things like working or taking out the trash; by spending time just the two of us; by laughing and enjoying each other in all ways; by giving everything of myself and expecting nothing in return; by having a long fuse; by praying for my marriage and my husband and that I would have what we need to succeed and what Nate needs to succeed.

If you've been married a lot longer than me and have some helpful hints of how to make our marriage even better, feel free to comment and let me know what they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment